The foundation is laid for modern chemistryAs from 1952, the company’s chemical production is no longer dependent on the supply of raw materials from its own forests. The sawmill, however, is not divested until 1965 and charcoal-burning continues until 1970. Perstorp’s formaldehyde is now produced via purchased methanol, and with the new, efficient Perstorp Formox process, productivity can be greatly increased.
Great emphasis on R&D now lays the foundation for Perstorp’s modern chemistry, with major investments in the production of polyols: penta (pentaerythritol) and TMP (trimethylol propane). Perstorp rapidly becomes the world leader in these products, which are primarily used as binding agents to give paints and varnishes improved adhesion, impact resistance and surface finish.
The strong demand for Perstorp’s products leads to a high growth rate and expansion of the product range in chemicals, plastics and laminates. There are times during the 50s and 60s when the company’s investments in development and new plants are extreme in relation to the company’s size.
Perstorp ABThe company evolves into a modern corporation and in 1966 changes its name to Perstorp AB. The new logo is based on the alchemist’s symbol for acetic acid, the company’s first chemical product.
The investments in development and new plants are extreme in relation to the company’s size.
The new logo.